Monday, February 02, 2009

leave yer thermarests and rainfly at home

yurt

I can be so obtuse. For years, we've mused about yurt camping. But because there's a "no pets in yurt" rule and we always have the dang dog with us, I just sighed and pretended that I don't really need a shelter I can stand up in.

It was just a few weeks ago that I lightbulbed the following: our tent is so small and our dog is so smelly, she always sleeps in the car *anyway*. We can sleep in a yurt and she can sleep in the car and what the heck has taken us so long?

The girl's birthday last week was the perfect opportunity to give this whole fancy camping a try. I really did think our tent was sufficient, before. But now? I'm not sure I can go back.

Because the yurt was awesome.

I got a full size sleeping area all to myself. And because I don't like to sleep all mummied-up in a sleeping bag, I took a big fat comforter and stretched right out and had more space than I usually have at home. Nice.

We had a table inside for setting stuff and plenty of hooks for hanging stuff and a little covered deck outside for cooking. It was so much quicker and easier than tenting it.

And warmer. It was definitely warmer. I'm not sure we're hardcore enough to tent camp in the winter anyhow, so the yurt gave us a chance to visit the off-season of a beach campground. It was so different, so much more empty and quiet. Our yurt was the only occupied yurt in our loop of the campground. So quiet.

We had the beach all to ourselves, too. A few times, I could sort of squint and see people, very far away, but mostly it was just us.


resplendent

Oh yeah, and the weather was brilliant: 50ish degrees, blue skies, no wind. It was a quick trip, but it was a good one.

2 comments:

Green V-Neck said...

I don't think we have yurt camping around here, but I sure would like to try it. After the last tent camping fiasco, I'm not so sure I want to drag everything out again.

Omy Keyes said...

That sounds so awesome. I'm definitely adding that to my list of things to try someday. :)

Eat More Kale!